Hockey Drill Demonstration
*** AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON ***
Objective: Build a sound technical model for hitting the ball, focussing on the path of the stick.
Purpose: Having the sound technical model to take the stick on the correct path will allow the ball to be hit flat, accurately and with good power for a shot or pass.
- In the back swing, the toe of the stick should point to the sky, creating a snap of the wrists.
- The back swing should go in a neutral arc going slightly on the inside. (Make sure the swing doesn't go outside on the back swing - creates lack of consistency in the hit.)
- At the moment of impact the stick head should be square.
- In the follow through the toe of the stick should point to the sky and the arc should come back on the inside on the same plane as the back swing.
- (If the stick is too heavy for the player and they're forced to have an out to inside swing, go back to clip hitting to build up confidence and strength.)