Hockey Drill Demonstration
*** AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON ***
Objective: To master the clip hit, often used as a progression to the full hit, but also very effective in a game situation.
Purpose: It is a quicker hit than a full swing hit due to the fact the hands are lower down the stick, shorterning the swing and menaing you can get a quick hit away under pressure.
- ‘V' between thumb and index finger runs down the edge of the stick
- Right and left hand touching - This way they work together rather than in opposition.
- Grip down the stick to maximise control.
- Start with the stick against the ball to give a natural position for the stick to return to.
- First get the player to hit using only their wrists to establish their role as early as possible.
- Make sure the ball position is just inside the left heel to strike through the ball cleanly.
- Left shoulder pointed towards receiver.
- Have knees bent 90 degrees.
- Butt of the stick level with the kneecaps.
- in a balanced body position (get them to hold their position after the hit to test their balanced position).
- Weight over left foot and toe of stick pointed towards the sky.