Hockey Drill Demonstration
*** AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON ***
Objective: To be able to complete an accurate push pass with sound technique.
Purpose: The push pass is important to be able to make short, quick, accurate passes. It is quick due to the fact there is no back swing so is ideal for passing in tight areas.
- The first vital part of making a strong, accurate puss pash is getting the ball in the right position to make the pass. Have the ball level or slightly outside the right foot.
- Grip the stick with the hands 10-15cm apart and the 'V's' of the hands run down the top edge of the stick. Keep the hands level with the knees. (Make sure the hands aren't too far apart, causing a shovelling motion and making the ball go to the left of the target.)
- Keep the hands away from the body and both hands should point to the target after the puss pash.
- Get a large stride with the left foot to generate the power and weigth transfer through the push. (Don't start with the ball on the left foot as younger players will struggle to generate the pace on the ball).
- Keep the feet square on with the ball, rather than opening to body. This will give the best chance of keeping the accuracy and pace of the pass high.