Tennis Drill Demonstration
2 players stand in services boxes hitting volleys to each other. Play a continuous rally, counting to try to make 50 shots in a row. If they miss or the ball bounces before a shot then they have to start again at 0.
- Racquet control
- Push through racquet
- Small movements with the racquet head, less is more
- Any large movements from the legs, outside leg (one towards the direction the player will move) goes first after ready position
- Try to keep the ball level
- Recover the position to straight on after every ball
- Watch the ball to help get into position
- Use the split step
- Mix forehands and backhands
- Trains resilience - if a player misses a shot then they need to focus on the next ball
- Count out loud- every ball means something
Only allow the players to use one side of the court- so that their volleys need to be more precise.