Volleyball Drill Demonstration
The purpose of the serve is not just to put the ball in play but to try and score a point or to stop/change the attacking strategy of the opposition.
- Split stance with left foot pointing in the direction of the target.
- Right foot at 45 degree angle pointing to the outside.
- Weight on back foot.
- Ball in left hand on the top of the fingers at hip height in the middle of the body.
- Right hand relaxed in front of shoulder hitting.
- Eyes focus on target area.
Throw the ball up without rotation to a height or slightly above the contact point. This should be above the right shoulder and in front of the head. The hitting arm should move back with elbow bent and with hand by the ear and the fingers pointing at the ball.
Move the weight from back foot to front foot with a small step forwards. Bring serving arm up and forward with fixed wrist, with elbow slightly bent on contact.
Make contact with the ball in the middle of the ball (no rotation). Make contact with the ball as short as possible (karate hit). At moment of impact, weight should be between both feet. Don't follow through rather pull back the hand after contact.
Drill tags: back foot, follow through, front foot, serve, weight