Football Drill Demonstration
- Place an obect 8 yards in front of the GK. In this case we use an upturned piece of drainpipe weighted down. Planks of wood such as scaffolding board works well.
- Server strikes the ball at the object looking for a deflection.
- GK must watch the ball all the way and react to make the save if it deflects off the object.
- GK to focus on the ball and try not to go low too early.
- Get the hands to the height of the ball and watch the ball all the way into the hands.
- GK still needs to have good positioning in line with the ball and with the centre of the goal behind them.
- Try and get a second barrier behind the ball, hands first and then the body or head behind the ball in case the ball slips past the hands.
Drill tags: reactions and deflections