Football Drill Demonstration
- Area 60x40yds, marked into equal thirds, with halfway line marked and appropriate size goals, as illustrated.
- 16 players (including 2 goalkeepers), 1 ball.
- Practice starts with: 7v7 (including 2 goalkeepers) plus 2 floating players, one of whom feeds into attacking team.
- On regain of possession: ball is played to a floating player, who is deemed safe.
- All players move into opposing attacking half, with exception of floater in possession.
- 2nd floater helps defending team until possession is regained.
- Defensive clearances to floater in opposing half can be transferred back into practice to sustain attack.
- If goalkeeper makes a save or ball goes out of play: possession is handed to floater who restarts practice.
- Quick change of attitude from attacking to defending.
- Pressing ball as a team to regain possession.
- Recover quickly to other half defending positions on loss of possession.
- Read the intention of player in possession.
- Simple progression for this practice is:
- 2nd floater joins attacking team to balance numbers and game continues 8v8, end-to-end.