Football Drill Demonstration
Set up a second goal as shown in the diagram.
Player 1 starts standing behind a mannequin, positioned outside of the penalty box left hand corner.
Player 2 is about 10m further down the pitch in line with Player 1. Player 2 passes the ball to player 1 and runs to the inside side of the mannequin for the lay off.
Player 2 takes a shot at the left goal.
At the same time as this Player 1, loops behind their run and enters the penalty box to receive a cross from Player 3, at the far right side.
Play in both directions to practice crossing and shooting from each side.
The first strike should be hard and low
- Have head over the ball (do not lean back)
- Hard and low into the corners
- If the Player has an angle (wide) then shoot across the face of the GK- this way if the GK saves the ball then he will probably be pushing it on to onrushing Players who can score.
When finishing a cross: sometimes the players don't need to try to produce power, they can just use pace from cross and guide the ball.
The goalkeeper should come and claim any balls they can.
The purpose of the second goal is to offer another type of finish.
- Add a Defender in for the cross
- Player 3 is usually crossing from a dribbling scenario
- You could replicate a free kick also
- Can add some cones/ ladders in for Player 3 to manipulate the ball around before taking a shot. If using ladders the Player should roll the ball down the side of the ladder as they do quick feet in and out.
- Can add a 4th Player in, who does a 1-2 with the 3rd Player to make the cross into more of a game situation.