Soccer Drill Demonstration
- Set up 3 mini goals or small gates marked out with cones facing towards a goal.
- Have 3 players behind each mini goal.
- The ball is played into the Goalkeeper from various areas on the pitch.
- As the ball is passed back to the Goalkeeper 2 of the players step in front of their mini goal, leaving 1 minigoal free for the Goalkeeper to play into.
- The player who's mini goal is played into can take a shot if the Goalkeeper successfully hits the goal.
- If the ball travels past the mini goal and is missed then the player takes a shot with that ball which becomes live.
- By playing the live ball, the drill replicates a quick turnover of possession after poor control from defender or a stray pass.
- Goalkeeper needs to be ready for the shot if possession is lost.
- Focus on accuracy of the pass and pace of the pass.
- Introduce the concept of "into feet" or "into space" - this drill is mostly working on "into feet".
- Work on technique of passing with the mini goals and Goalkeepers enjoy targe practice.
- Its is important to get the Goalkeepers to be comfortable playiing into space, especially under pressure.
- Remove the mini goals and use coloured gates/cones. Coach then shouts the colour and the Goalkeeper plays to the player behind that gate into their run.