Soccer Drill Demonstration
Objective: To defend against a winger or opposite full back overlapping
- This practice uses 7 players (2 full backs 2 wide players 1 CB 1 Att 1 GK)
- Use the same area/side of the pitch as above.
- Serving full back serves the ball from half way line. Defensive full back starts 10 yards outside of 18 yard box.
- Attacking full back passes the ball to wide player. As ball travels defending full back pressurises ball. Full back can now pass to centre forward or overlapping full back.
- Defending centre back and wide player are added.
- Full Back: Having pressured wide player, if opposing full back overlaps, defensive full back tracks overlapping run.
- If wide player passes or dribbles inside to centre forward full back tucks in close to centre back.
- Wide Player: If full back overlaps, wide player to pressurise opposing wide player and force the ball down the line.
- Centre Back: Move within 10 yards of full back to remain compact whilst positioning ball side of centre forward.
Drill tags: defend, defending, football, full backs, soccer