- Carrying the ball in different position
- Working on footwork
- Playing position from red to blue cone
- Sharp roll/turn at first red cone
- Move feet around the ball at second red cone
- When rolling, the player should try make an effort to increase the space between a tight marking defender and the ball
- This is done by moving the ball away from the body and extending the hips
- Perform in the oppostion direction, practice aa reverse turn and strong change of direction (or a v-drag)
Set out two lines of cones in a tight zig-zag formation.
Players take it in turns to run through the cones. The ball travels down the middle while the player uses quick feet to shuffle in and out of the cones, maintaining a forward body position throughout.
Moving with the ball
To improve running with the ball and changing direction players have to run around the cones creating a figure of eight as they go around the centre cone before then running out and around the outer blue cone.
Players must dribble forehand around the middle cone and then reverse the stick around the outside cone.
Moving with the ball
- 5 yard square
- 3 forwards and 2 defenders
- Forwards must stay on the outside of the square
- Defenders cannot leave the square or tackle the player in possession
- Forwards around the square can move around
- If a defender intercepts the ball, they should swap with the forward who made the pass
Passing & Receiving
- Perform the indian dribble whilst move the body through the cones
- The goal is to move the ball towards then cone, then cut it back quickly. This attempts to make a defender into making a challenge, allowing the attacker to move around a static player
- Performing a continuous stick dink - Practice 3D skills whilst moving in a linear fashion
- Performing the indian dribble on either side of the body while jogging
Defender steps in front of the attacker to intercept a pass Coaching Points Defender is marking over distance (not touch-tight) Defender times his run so he picks up the ball at the correct time Defender picks the ball up on the move Intercepting player keeps moving with the ball after interception to get away from the attacker and into a strong position Progression Make the attacker less passive
- Using the upright reverse stick to intercept a pass
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the reverse side
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the open side
- Restart at a penalty corner - Very important that the ball goes exactly where desired so the routine can run smoothly
Culture impacts how players work together, behave, feel and communicate. How can you as a coach help sculpt your team culture?
Cup final season is upon us! That's why we take a look at how to best prepare your players for the end of season showdowns!
The helpful tips, ideas and drills are super useful for developing our coaching abilities and the abilities of our players.