- Performing a block stick challenge in an 1 v 1 situation
- Notice the initial body position of the defender. He is trying to move the player down the outside
- The defender is on his toes, constantly moving his feet so he cannot be easily eliminated due to flat feet
Split the players up into two groups for a relay type exercise which starts with one player from group 1 running with a ball to the goal on the half way line, trying to score a goal.
As soon as player 1 has had a shot at goal a player from group 2 runs with a ball to the other goal to try to score a goal.
The player that had the first shot (player 1) has to try and defend against the player from group 2. When this player scores or loses the ball to the defender the next player starts from group 1 and the player that has just taken the shot becomes the new defender.
The player that had the first shot and then defended (player 1) goes to the back of theirre queue.
Eliminating a Player
Players work in pairs in this drill - attacking and defending pair.
The player who starts with the ball has to dribble around the cone and then try to score a goal on the half way line.
At the same time one player from the defending pair also runs around the cone. Once the player with the ball has run around the cone the drill is live.
The defending team are trying to dispossess the player with the ball and score against the keeper and the last defender.
The drill continues until one of the team has had a shot at one of the goals.
2 v 1 situation using a quick change of pace to eliminate the defender
Pass the ball in to the defender and get it back, picking the ball up on the move
The attacker takes the ball to right then quickly turns his feet to the left and drags the ball across his body
Note the change in pace-this is key to creating the space to get past the defender
The attacker without the ball follows the movement of the attacker with the ball
- Perform the indian dribble whilst move the body through the cones
- The goal is to move the ball towards then cone, then cut it back quickly. This attempts to make a defender into making a challenge, allowing the attacker to move around a static player
- Performing a continuous stick dink - Practice 3D skills whilst moving in a linear fashion
- Performing the indian dribble on either side of the body while jogging
Defender steps in front of the attacker to intercept a pass Coaching Points Defender is marking over distance (not touch-tight) Defender times his run so he picks up the ball at the correct time Defender picks the ball up on the move Intercepting player keeps moving with the ball after interception to get away from the attacker and into a strong position Progression Make the attacker less passive
- Using the upright reverse stick to intercept a pass
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the reverse side
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the open side
- Restart at a penalty corner - Very important that the ball goes exactly where desired so the routine can run smoothly
"It is not only useful for staff who are experienced but a valuable tool for those subject staff who have to take teams."
The variety of sessions across sports - sometimes we steal session ideas from one sport and use them with another.
As we enter the business end of the competition, we take a look at the remaining eight teams and the key talking points surrounding each side.
Give it a try - it's better in the app