Hockey Drill Demonstration
*** AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON ***
- Objective: Players to make the correct decision in attacking situations and ensure correct attackers are in correct position to affect the game.
- Purpose: Increase the chances of threatening the opposition goal and coming away with a positive result.
- Midfielder plays ball across the pitch from left to right.
- Receiving midfielder will start to carry the ball forward and should threaten to play the ball directly into the D.
- Attacker runner on the D will initially run towards the passer to show for the ball, then peel off, aiming their run towards the baseline.
- A defender will decide whether to follow the attacking runner or block the ball from the receiving midfielder going into the D.
- The pass that receiving midfielder makes, should be influenced by the defenders movement as to where the space is.
- 2 attackers in the D should initially look for a deflection if the ball is flung directly into the D. If the ball is played to the attacker running the D, they should reposition themselves to receive a pass or be at the far post for a deflection.
- Midfielders playing the ball to attackers should play with their head up to see the defenders movement. They have a better chance of choosing the correct ball to play.
- Defenders should try not to commit too early to make it difficult for attackers.
- Attackers in the D need to react to what's happening and ensure they are positioned correctly depending on the ball that has been played.
- Add in another defender to follow the attacker positioning themselves at the far post.
Drill tags: game situation, match related, decision making, goalscoring