Rugby Drill Demonstration
Known by many names, I've called it Rugby Netball here, the concept is this:
Players split into two teams in the Game Area.
Each side of the square is a try line indicated by cone colours.
Players must pass the ball to teammates until they can score a try at the correct colour try line.
Players must not move with the ball
Coaches allow play then call out a colour. The team in posession must then get their players in position to score a try on or beyond that try line.
- Penalise movement by ball carrier
- Encourage teammates to find space and call for the ball
- Call out coloured try lines
- Introduce variations on passing e.g. nothing above head height / over arm throws only
- Introduce kicks
- Introduce restricted movements e.g. attackers must kneel when they have the ball.
- Enlarge playing area to suit numbers
- Change the ball size/shape e.g. tennis ball
Coaches Could also introduce additional points scored for players demonstrating Principles of Play e.g.
- Finding Space (GO FOWARD)
- Shouting for the ball (SUPPORT)
- Ten Passes (CONTINUITY)
- Intercepting (CONTEST POSESSION)
- Marking the players (CONTEST POSESSION)
- Develop this game into only end to end / End ball type game then...
- Develop further into full game