Always start with "Who's ready for Little Boomers Basketball?!"
Warm Up: Builders vs Wreckers (there's a new version of this game, see video in folder)
SET-UP: Place cones all over the playground. Half the cones should be placed properly, the other half are flipped upside down.
In addition place 6 pizzas side by side on one side the playground and 6 pizzas on the other side of the playground. These will be used to differentiate each child's role and also will be used for the set-up of the next game (Island Game)
Explain to children the following:
1. Explain to children the different roles.
2. If they are Bob the Builder, you demonstrate to the class that they must build the cones by making them stand properly. (provide a visual)
3. If the they are wrecker Ralphs, you demonstrate to the class that they must wreck the cones by flipping them upside down. (provide a visual)
4. Have 6 children stand on a pizza on one side, and the other 6 children stand on a pizza on the other side. It is here you give them their role (builder or wrecker)
5. Have everyone standing up the screma 3...2...1... GO!! (whistle blow) Game goes for 1 minute and stop and have children put their hands up when over.
6. Children go back to the pizza they were on before and you switch roles.
7. 3rd round children back to their pizzas and coach explains that players can be any role they like, Bob the Builders, Wrecker Ralphs or both! (ask them - who are you going to be?)
IMPORTANT TIP Make sure children do not kick or pick up the cones and that they are constantly moving!
"It is not only useful for staff who are experienced but a valuable tool for those subject staff who have to take teams."
The variety of sessions across sports - sometimes we steal session ideas from one sport and use them with another.
As we enter the business end of the competition, we take a look at the remaining eight teams and the key talking points surrounding each side.
Give it a try - it's better in the app