Soccer Drill Demonstration
- 3 teams of 6: red blue and yellow.
- Set up an area starting at the edge of the penalty box, 44 yards wide and about 20 yards long.
- 2 teams start in the area with the other team spaced evenly around the edge.
- Games of 6 vs 6 using the outside players as extras for whichever team has the ball: 3 minute rotation (including the players on the outside)
- The aim of this is for teams to keep possession of the ball for as long as possible.
- The players on the outside are 2 touch only.
- Have a goal at each end with Goalkeepers. The 2 outside players (yellow) nearest the top goal are numbered "1" and those nearest the bottom goal are numbered "2".
- One team attacks towards the end with the "1" players, the other towards the "2" players.
- Once a team in the area has had 6 consecutive passes then they can play the ball to the players "1" or "2" and then can enter the penalty area to shoot at goal.
- Players "1" or "2" only have 2 touches to pass to the player running in.
- If players aren't getting enough opportunities to take shots, due to not breaking through Defence then each team can shoot in both goals. This will create more space for both of them.
- 6 games, so each team plays the others twice.
- Once a player has passed the ball they should move to make the area clear for other teammates to enter the space.
- Body position: players should shield the ball with their body by keeping their body between the Attacker and the ball.
- Simple pass: focus on accurate passing particularly in tight areas. Once you have passed the ball clear area for teammate to exploit.
- Weight of the pass is important to leave the ball playable.
- Communication between the players- making sure they are calling in space.
- This is important in a game situation for helping the person with the ball make decisions under pressure.
- Communicate to teammates to clear areas so that newly created space can be exploited to receive the ball.
This practice is important for teams who do not pass the ball around enough to keep possession. By forcing them to make 6 passes before taking a shot at goal in a game situation they will see that there are other options than playing forwards when there is not a safe pass.