Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following......
- We are going to play a game, the 7 defenders will stay in defence throughout, and the 5 attacking players will remain the attack.
- If for any reason the ball is lost, it is given back to the attack.
- The attack scores by scoring a try in the normal way.
- The defence scores by turning the ball over.
- That's it, play.
- As the game develops, increase the size of the playing area.
- Switch the attackers and defenders.
- Defenders build a decision making framework.....
- Can they get to their feet quickly following the tackle.
- Can they get hands on.
- Can they get over the ball before the support.
- Has the defence got numbers.
- All of the above makes it possible to turn the ball. But if those factors are not present, the defenders must get away from the contact and fan out.
- Defenders should not over commit to contact when there is little chance of a turnover.
- The defence should press-up quickly, closing space quickly.
- Pressure must be applied onto the attack, forcing mistakes.