Rugby Drill Demonstration
Keep your player briefing, brief! You may decide to have a demonstration grid.
- On your call, all players fan out to receive a pass.
- Players initially attack half the space in the grid, that way the lines do not cross into each others space, as you can see in the animation.
- Players should then attack the full width of the grid, there will be intersection and some confusion.
- Players stay within the grid. When they finish an attack (the ball is moved down the line), the last player to recieve the ball should score a try just outside the grid - and the line should get set in their new location to go again.
- Player initially rotate in a clockwise direction. Change this after a period of time.
- Make sure that players change position in the attacking line.
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
- Players should work to keep the tempo of the session high.
- Receivers hands should be out, presenting a target.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands.
- The pass is weighted in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy.
- The pass is only complete when caught.
- Players do not spin the ball over short distances and their pass should be sympathetic to the receiver.
- Ball carriers pass to where the receiver is going to be, not where they are.
- Ball carriers provide a flat ball or a ball that the receiver can run onto.
- The receiver attacks at pace, receiving the ball while moving forward at pace.
- Players demonstrate good communication . Communication should be efficient, effective, and encouraging. Receivers should identify themselves, their location etc. Ball carriers should verbally seek out support.
- Mistakes will be made, allow your players the freedom to make mistakes without feeling a failure.
- Passing should be off both hands. There is no weak or strong hand, just hands that need a little more work. Work is the key, not talent.
- Defenders track, closing down space.
- First player who passes ball then defends the try line. All other players must draw defender towards them before releasing pass. Defender simply applies pressure.
- First player goes for 2 handed touch on ball carrier shorts.
Drill tags: alignment, passing